Saturday, March 9, 2013

Accumulating Snowfall in Plains, Midwest

Heavy accumulating snowfall looks to be on the way for parts of the Plains and Midwest in the next few days.

A storm system currently moving out of the Rockies will move northeast through the southern Plains and heart of the Midwest to deliver accumulating snowfall to the central/northern Plains and Upper Midwest. High resolution model forecasts, like the one shown above, depict snowfall reaching beyond the 12 inch mark in Iowa and portions of Nebraska. For anyone who saw yesterday's post concerning that banding in Nebraska, I find it to be no surprise that forecasts have changed yet again and shifted this heavy band. Models never handle these isolated bands of heavy snow well. The purple areas express snowfall forecasts of 6-12 inches of snow, and this looks to be in store for Wisconsin into the heart of Iowa, parts of Kansas and portions of Nebraska. Lighter snow in the 3-6 inch range will fall in the blue regions, and even lighter amounts look to be in store for the light gray colors. Winter weather alerts are posted below.

Legend
Dark Blue: Winter Storm Watch
Light Purple: Winter Weather Advisory
Pink: Winter Storm Warning
Red-orange: Blizzard Warning


Andrew

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

There is not enough Prozac for me to take in the world for this!
It just keeps coming & coming! What gives here! Why is this happening?
I don’t get it? I’m a happy person, usually, but not with this stuff. Snow..snow..snow…
God! I know this is not a healing blog but I can’t help it! I’m sorry.
Thank you Andrew so much for the heads up I mean that! But snow…again?
Well now at least I know I have a heads up to get my motel room & kennel my dogs!They do not take care of my roads here!I will not be here next winter...time to go!
Thank you again for the heads up!
bree

Anonymous said...

big fan of twc (the weather centre not channel, lol :p).

keep up great great great work andrew.