Friday, November 19, 2010

Potential Great Lakes Snow Update #4

Good morning everyone. I did run the GFS again this morning just now, and I will tell you my findings.

We're focusing in on the November 25th event first. So, the GFS is playing it out somewhat like this: Light to moderate snow. All precip in North Illinois ONLY, moderate-heavy snow in Wisconsin.

In future runs, this precip spreads in to Michigan.

Why am I mentioning this? Because the thickness is right and the cold front has already passed. This is a fine opportunity for snow to form.

Since the GFS has been hinting at precip for the last 3 days, I'm believing it more and more with each model run.

Alrighty. Moving on to our November 23rd event. If nothing comes out of it, this will be its final update.

The GFS would only display very light precipitation in North Illinois on November 22ND. ONE DAY EARLIER.

Anyways, That precip will be rain, because the thickness is above the maximum level needed for snow.

Conclusion: Light rain on Nov. 22nd, Sticking snow possible on Ill. Wis. borders, snowstorm possible in Wisconsin moving into Michigan.

2 comments:

Shannon said...

I really enjoy your site, as I am into all things weather. I live in Peoria, Illinois (north-central). I have been keying in on something possible for late next week, but unsure at this time if we get anything. What are your thoughts? Personally, I have forecast a snowier winter for us, with temperature battles most of the winter. When I say snowier, I am thinking slightly above normal amounts. Keep up the weather fun!

Andrew said...

Thanks for your input! Sorry for responding so late that I couldn't give you your answer to the system. I agree with your forecast for the winter, especially then temperature battles. Thanks for the wishes, and I hope to hear from you soon!
-Andrew